Easily one of the loveliest stretches of the Camino: from the world-famous Basque city of Pamplona to the gateway to the vast, high plains of Spain. The route crosses the world-famous La Rioja wine region, with an overnight in the Riojan capital of Logroño, center of Northern Spanish tapas culture. Hear the story of the miraculous chickens at Santo Domingo de la Calzada and finish in historic Burgos, home of the Spanish hero El Cid as well as the location of one of Spain’s most elaborate and beautiful medieval cathedrals. A 1/3 deposit reserves your place.
- May 29, 2022 – Overnight in Pamplona– Gather at your hotel in this world famous Basque provincial capital to enjoy dinner and meet your fellow travelers. Marvel at the intact medieval walls or trace the course of the annual Running of the Bulls.
- May 30, 2022 – Pamplona to Puente la Reina (24.4km/15.2miles)– A gentle climb up to Alto del Perdón provides sweeping views back to the Pyrenees and wide vistas ahead to the vast farmland of Western Navarre. Overnight at the medieval pilgrim town of Puente la Reina and enjoy is picturesque bridge and pilgrim church.
- May 31, 2022 – Puente la Reina to Estella (21.6km/13.4miles)– A day spent walking on rolling hills among grain fields and vineyards with an overnight at picturesque Estella.
- June 1, 2022 – Estella to Los Arcos (21.6km/13.4miles)– Free wine is on tap at the Irache Winery and afterward transit on rolling hills through vineyards and farmland. Quiet Los Arcos hosts one of the most elaborate Baroque church interiors in Northern Spain.
- June 2, 2022 – Los Arcos to Logroño (28.2km/17.5miles)– Cross into the Spanish wine region of La Rioja, passing through medieval Viana for lunch and arriving at Logroño, self-proclaimed culinary capital of Spain and site of Calle Laurel, home of La Rioja’s tapas culture.
- June 3, 2022 – Logroño to Nájera (28.5km/17.7miles)– The extravagant altarpiece at Navarette is a showpiece of golden religious iconography, then the riverfront cafes and quiet streets and museums of the Old City of Nájera offer an outdoor rest or a quiet walk among tombs of the Kings of Navarre.
- June 4, 2022 – Nájera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (22.1km/13.7miles)– The vineyards transition to fields of grain under wide open skies before arriving at the majestic Cathedral of Santo Domingo, site of the famed chicken miracle.
- June 5, 2022 – Santo Domingo to Belorado (22.5km/14.0miles) –Beautiful views of rolling hills and frequent villages allow walkers ample stops to refuel before arriving at the round, central plaza of Belorado, overlooked by ruins of its medieval castle.
- June 6, 2022 – Belorado to San Juan de Ortega (24.0km/14.9miles) –The forest of the Montes de Oca once held wolves and bandits that preyed on pilgrims, but now it is a pleasant, shaded walk, punctuated by the Monastery of San Juan de Ortega and its window that shines on the statue of the Virgin at the equinox.
- June 7, 2022 – Agés to Burgos (23.2km/14.4miles) –The quiet countryside slowly turns to vibrant city, culminating in the charming center city of Burgos, with its UNESCO World Heritage cathedral and fascinating Museum of Human Evolution.
- June 8, 2022 – Depart Burgos– Plan to return next year for another 2-week leg of the multi-year journey to Santiago de Compostela.
Price includes overnight accommodation, breakfast each morning, all dinners (except Logrono’s “Tapas/Pincho Exploration” and baggage transfer. Your tour host and guide is Sandy Brown, pilgrim guidebook author. A 1/3 deposit reserves your place.