Pilgrims walk 6 days and stay 7 nights beginning inside the UNESCO-World Heritage walls of historic Lucca and ending in glorious Renaissance Siena. This unforgettable walk takes pilgrims on the Via Francigena through some of the most quaint and best-preserved medieval Italian towns — all surrounded by the spectacular rolling hills of Tuscany. This is the region of focaccia bread and rich red wines and many other gastronomic delicacies. Bring your appetite and camera.
- June 12, 2022 – Gather in Lucca. Overnight in Lucca (optional Lucca tour). Lucca has been called by some a “smaller Florence.” Inside its medieval walls the town is beautifully preserved with quiet streets full of shops and charming restaurants. The Duomo is spectacular in its intricate stone work. We meet at our hotel in the evening for an orientation and delicious dinner.
- June 13, 2022 – Lucca to Altopascio (18.3km/11.4miles, rated Easy). Altopascio also features a charming medieval quarter with lively cafes and restaurants. Rather than being a tourist town, Altopascio is a place where local Italians live, work and play. The day’s walk is on quiet, flat paved roads and is a good warm up for upcoming walks.
- June 14, 2022 – Altopascio to San Miniato (28.7km/17.8miles, rated Average). The enormous tower of San Miniato can be seen for many miles around and was erected as a beacon to pilgrims on the Via Francigena. Today’s stage includes a long walk through a forested nature reserve.
- June 15, 2022 – San Miniato to Gambassi Terme (24.1km/15miles, rated Average). Now the vast rolling hills open up and this very picturesque day carries pilgrims through beautiful farmland with constant, sweeping vistas of Tuscan countryside.
- June 16, 2022 – Gambassi Terme to San Gimignano (13.7km/8.5miles, rated Easy). San Gimignano is noted as one of Italy’s best-preserved medieval towns, with dozens of towers where prosperous medieval families stored their treasures.
- June 17, 2022 – San Gimignano to Monteriggioni (27.4km/17miles, rated Challenging). Monteriggioni is a fully walled medieval village atop a rounded mountain. The challenging but beautiful walk can be shortened with a van ride at the start or end of the day.
- June 18, 2022 – Monteriggioni to Siena (20.6km/12.8miles, rated Average). There are few words worthy to describe Siena. Inside its medieval walls there are world-renowned treasures of medieval and Renaissance art, capped off by a stunningly beautiful cathedral at its heart.
- June 19, 2022 – Tour and depart Siena. Our time together ends with breakfast at the hotel followed by a morning tour of the city.
- Option #1 Remain an extra night in Siena to enjoy this wonderful, medieval city (price TBA). Option #2: Extend your walk by continuing to Rome (see our Siena-Rome group walking tour).
This trip includes: Nightly hotel accommodations in 4-star or best available facilities, daily breakfast and dinner, baggage service, van service, and leadership by certified hiking guide Giovanni Ramaccioni and pilgrim author Sandy Brown. Prices do not include air or ground travel to and from start and finish points or lunch each day. Itineraries subject to possible change. Terms and conditions apply.
Photo opposite: top of the facade of the Lucca cathedral.